[Samba] Re: samba can not contact the ldap server

jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 13:24:40 GMT 2009

"robert rottermann" <robert at redcor.ch> wrote in message
news:499BFFCA.8070504 at redcor.ch...
> hi there,
> I am working trough a tutorial on setting up samba and ldbap on a suses
11.1 box

> everything worked fine so far but now samba can not contact the the ldap
server.
> all command trying it issue the following error message.
>
> Failed to issue the StartTLS instruction: Can't contact LDAP server
>
> how can I trace down what causes this?

Have you configured nss_ldap?

You could try testing Samba without ssl enabled in LDAP or the smb.conf.  If
it can connect without using ssl then you need to trouble shoot ssl.  If it
cannot connect without ssl then you need to look at your nss_ldap settings.

Setting up nss_ldap involves configuring the /etc/ldap.conf and
/etc/nsswitch.conf files.

I would recommend using "Samba by Example".  It is available at
www.samba.org in the Learn Samba section.

Take a look at Chapter 5 "Making Happy Users".