[Samba] Extremly slow (3-4k/s) on Win clients while Linux clients work fine

Kums kumaran.rajaram at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 23:34:25 GMT 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Elias Probst <mail at eliasprobst.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've migrated a Win2k fileserver to Samba 3.0.33 on Gentoo (Kernel 2.6.28).
>
> While the Linux clients work fine, I get the absolutely worst transferrates
> on
> Win (XP Prof + Vista) like 3-4k/s (compared to ~10MB/s on Linux).
> When copying larger files on Windows, they start this slow, but the
> transfer
> becomes faster after some time like 2Mbit/s via WLAN which would be
> acceptable.

Can you do a network trace and see if there are retransmissions? I have seen
that if the TCP/IP window registry (TcpWindowSize, Tcp1323Opts) and network
settings(MTU, flow-control) are not aligned between Samba server and Windows
client, it can lead to retransmissions and affect performance.

Cheers,
-Kums