[Samba] Samba4: programmatic account creation via LDAP (unicodePwd)

James R. Leu jleu at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 25 05:44:47 GMT 2009

Hello,

I've started working with samba4-alpha6.  I've been successful
in setting up an AD with an openldap backend.  I'm now
shifting my focus to how I would go about migrating to
a samba4 setup from a microsoft AD implementation.

To that end I've written a perl script that uses Net::LDAP
to create users in the samba4 LDAP backend.  I can create
the user in such a way that samba4 is happy with it, but
I'm unable to set an initial password for the user.

I've tried using a template user that has a known password
and then duplicating that users nTSecurityDescriptor, but that
doesn't seem to work.  I've tried creating a unicodePwd entry
with the following code:

    my $charmap = Unicode::Map8->new('latin1') or die $!;
    my $unipwd = $charmap->tou(qq{"$passwd"})->byteswap()->utf16();

But that doesn't seem to work either.

I was wondering if anyone working with samba4 could recommend
a way to create users programmatically.  If a mechanism does not
exist, perhaps someone could point me in the right direction to
add the necessary hooks to samab4 to allow it.

--
James R. Leu
jleu at mindspring.com