[Samba] Cannot login from windows

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Wed Feb 25 03:32:51 GMT 2009

> I am using Samba 3.0.33 on Linux as the server, and have Linux,
> windows XP, and Windows Vista clients.
I would suggest that until you have a basic working setup that you test
using a Linux client (smbclient), it doesn't have all of the fancy stuff
(cached credentials, etc) that will just confuse things. Are the XP and
Vista clients home/pro/business/ultimate/etc? Home is a bit quirky under
some circumstances.

>   I have added user 'brandon003' with smbpasswd, I try logging in with
> that username and the correct password but I get a message in Windows
> saying that I do not have permissions.
What do you mean logging in? Does the Windows machine have a user with
the same name and password as the samba box? or are you prompted for
credentials when browsing to the share?

>   My smb.conf file is a bit messy since I have been trying many
> different variations, but here it is:
>
> [global]

Yuck, trim this back to basics. You have a lot of junk in there that you
really don't need and which will just confuse matters.

I just put this config file onto one of my 3.0.23 machines (yeah it's a
bit outdated):

[global]
   workgroup = foo

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = no

and then ran "smbpasswd -a mike" (where mike is a user that exists on my
Vista box), set the password the same as my vista logon and it works fine.

Once you have the basics, make a backup and then add things one at a
time until you have all the functionality you require.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>