[Samba] Winbind/PAM/SLES 8-problem

danny.petterson at accenture.com danny.petterson at accenture.com
Tue Feb 24 13:23:41 GMT 2009

Hi Gurus!

I'm working on getting some old SLES 8-serveres to use winbind, letting
users authenticate to our Windows AD. All the setup of  samba, winbind,
adding the server to the AD etc. is working fine, and all kinds of
wbinfo returns what it is supposed to. BUT - when I try to login (using
ssh), it utterly ignores winbind, and only tries to validate local
users. Not one entry in messages or samba-logs about winbind when a
users tries to logon to the system... I suppose its related to
PAM-configuration, but Im not sure. This is what Im dealing with:

UnitedLinux-1.0-i386-SP4 (from SPident)

Linux 2.4.21-251-smp #1 SMP Thu Sep 23 17:22:54 UTC 2004 i686 unknown

samba3-client-3.0.33-36

samba3-winbind-3.0.33-36

samba3-3.0.33-36

This is where I try to use winbind in /etc/pam.d:

common-account:

account sufficient      /lib/security/pam_winbind.so

account required        pam_unix2.so

common-auth:

auth    sufficient      /lib/security/pam_winbind.so

auth    required        pam_unix2.so nullok_secure use_first_pass

Can't get anything to work with winbind, not sudo, not su, not ssh -
nothing. But again, all wbinfo, getent passwd, etc works fine.

Thanx for your help.

Greetings from

Danny Petterson

"Shadows and Dust"