[Samba] Tunneling over SSH

Kevin Bailey kbailey at freewayprojects.com
Tue Feb 24 08:46:14 GMT 2009

Hi,

Has anyone successfully got a Windows PC to access Samba over an SSH
tunnel.  This first of all worked immediately - but now seems to have
stopped.

I've tried with using putty and myentunnel to set up the tunnel - and
these are working when I test against a web server.

I've followed instructions at:

http://www.security-hacks.com/2007/05/18/tunneling-smb-over-ssh-secure-file-sharing

This has set up another loopback device which means that the Windows
machine can carry on with its own file sharing.

This is particularly important as my client needs to access Sage
Accounts data files which are Access files - I want them to continue
accessing the data using Samba - but as I need to put the server on to
the internet I need to tunnel the Samba traffic over ssh for security.

Any help, pointers gratefully received.

Kevin Bailey