[Samba] shell changed from root@ to administrator@

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Sun Feb 22 22:55:50 GMT 2009

> Can any one help me why my server always automatically changed from
> [root at abc] to [administrator at abc]?
> I found out that when I repeat this command ,it will change back to
> [root at abc]
>
> [administrator at abc] authconfig-tui

If it is anything like my system, root is a local user (defined in
/etc/passwd) while administrator is defined in ldap with the same UID.
It sounds like your system is using LDAP to resolve the username before
passwd.

What does your /etc/nsswitch.conf look like?

I suspect that the Redhat/Centos support people might be more
knowledgeable about this stuff, as far as I can see your problem has
nothing to do with samba.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>