[Samba] NISPLUS authentication from AD Windows logon

Streeter, Angela Angela.Streeter at cirrus.com
Wed Feb 18 23:07:01 GMT 2009

Here is the situation:

We have Samba 3 installed on a Solaris 10 machine.  Our unix and windows
IT environments are managed by separate groups within our company.  We
manage the Samba server on the Unix side.  We use NIS+ for our unix user
accounts.

We would like to authenticate from Windows with the existing unix
username and password.  I looked into using winbind w/ PAM
authentication but I have not been able to get it to work.  (Domain
support)  The problem appears to be that our PDC for Windows is an
Active Directory Domain.  Is it possible to authenticate from AD -> Unix
with the NIS+ password information and if so how?  All of the
information for AD seems to be about authentication with the Windows
user and password information.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Cirrus Logic
Angela Streeter
Unix Systems Admin
angela.streeter at cirrus.com