[Samba] samba trouble with Vista

Carl Engstrom engstrom at cox.net
Mon Feb 16 22:14:20 GMT 2009

  _____

I am having some issues getting my vista client to automatically reconnect
to samba after a reboot. The client OS is Vista Business 64Bit SP1. The
server is running on Ubuntu (latest version) and Samba 3.2.3.

The symptoms are this. I browse to the server via \\name or \\IP_address. I
then select a share, map network share to say z:/ It will usually prompt me
for authentication just after the initial connection request. So all is good
until i reboot. Then the drives show up as not connected. I get notified
that they cannot reconnect. I click on the icon for the mapped device and it
fails. To fix this, I can just browse to the server via \\server, click on
the share and then then a folder...and it will reconnect again. It seems
like the authentication isn't getting cached or something. I've never had
this issue before, but then I'm new to using Vista. By the way I have
changed the Specpol.msc to negotiate NTLM from the default. This was a
sticking point for others, but it hasn't seemed to help me.

here is a copy of my samba config if it will help.

[global]
netbios name = linuxgate
server string = Samba file and print server
workgroup = EWORKGROUP
security = user
hosts allow = 127. 192.168.1.
interfaces = 127.0.0.1/8 192.168.1.0/24
bind interfaces only = yes
remote announce = 192.168.1.255
remote browse sync = 192.168.1.255
printcap name = cups
load printers = yes
cups options = raw
printing = cups
guest account = smbguest
log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
max log size = 1000
null passwords = no
username level = 6
password level = 6
encrypt passwords = true
unix password sync = yes
local master = yes
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain logons = no
os level = 66
logon drive = m:
logon home = \\%L\homes\%u
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u
logon script = %G.bat
time server = no
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
wins support = yes
wins proxy = no
dns proxy = no
preserve case = yes
short preserve case = yes
client use spnego = no
client signing = no
client schannel = no
server signing = no
server schannel = no
nt pipe support = yes
nt status support = yes
allow trusted domains = no
obey pam restrictions = yes
enable spoolss = yes
client plaintext auth = no
disable netbios = no
follow symlinks = no
update encrypted = yes
pam password change = no
passwd chat timeout = 120
hostname lookups = no
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd '%u'
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *ReType*new*password* %n\n
*passwd*changed*\n
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -c 'Samba User Account' -s
/dev/null '%u'
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -c 'Samba User
Account' -s /dev/null -g '%g' '%u'
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd '%g'
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel '%u'
delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/userdel '%u' '%g'
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel '%g'
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g sambamachines -c
'Samba Machine Account' -s /dev/null -M '%u'
machine password timeout = 120
idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
template shell = /dev/null

[...]