[Samba] Winbind-Problem Samba 3.2.8 on AIX 5.3.9

Arendt, Volker Arendt at wiwi.uni-wuppertal.de
Mon Feb 16 10:43:28 GMT 2009

Hi everyone,

On a newly installed AIX-LPAR (oslevel 5.3.9) we added the current samba version 3.2.8. Installation and configuration did not reveal any problem.

The problems show about 5 Minutes after services startup. After starting the samba services the winbind daemon uses lots of CPU time and memory.
Wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g work after initial startup.

We cannot connect to any share on the machine. The level 10 log of the winbind daemon start to show lots of the following messages:

Sending request to child pid 290960 (domain=FB6)
  talloc failed
  timed_events_timeout: 299/999828
  Could not receive async reply from child pid 290960
  fork_domain_child called for domain 'FB6'
  Could not receive trustdoms

The domain process went without any problem, the smb.conf was copied from a 3.0.26a system and adapted to reflect the new server name.

Config files and level 10 logs are available for smbd, winbindd and 1 client system (that tried to connect) and can be provided.

Kind regards

Dr. Volker Arendt
Dr. Volker Arendt                      mailto:arendt at wiwi.uni-wuppertal.de
Gaußstr. 20                                          Tel : +49(202)4392449
42097 Wuppertal, Deutschland                         Fax:  +49(202)4393959
Bergische Universität Wuppertal              Wirtschaftswissenschaft (FBB)