[Samba] net use /home ?

Jean-Jacques Moulis jj at isy.liu.se
Mon Feb 16 08:12:22 GMT 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:44:07 -0500 John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

JD> > It works alright, and all users have full access to their own home
JD> > directories. Also, say user "elsa" logs in. She won't get a mapping to
JD> > \\server\elsa via the 'net use j: /home' command, but she will get full
JD> > access with 'net use j: \\server\elsa'
JD> >
JD> > Go figure.. Also, nothing really changed on the system apart from upgrading
JD> > the samba package from 2 to 3.2.8, that's the strange thing..
JD> >
JD> I am sorry.. I see now.

JD> I have always used the UNC path.

Samba 3.2.4 on Vista SP1

C:\Users\jj>net use g: /home
Drive g: is now connected to \\PDC\jj. Your home directory is g:\.

If it´s a samba issue (which I doubt) it have to be between 3.2.4 and 3.2.8

What's the result of "set home" on your windows machines?

C:\Users\jj>set home
HOMEDRIVE=h:
HOMEPATH=\
HOMESHARE=\\PDC\jj

I suppose the command: net use drive /home
uses the value of HOMESHARE

--
Jean-Jacques   Moulis                              Tel:  (013) 281684
ISY                                                Fax:  (013) 139282
Linköping University                            E-mail: jj at isy.liu.se
581 83 Linköping