[Samba] Over 400 smbd pid's?

Ed Kasky ed at esson.net
Sat Feb 14 00:15:54 GMT 2009

At 10:52 AM Friday, 2/13/2009, Walter Mautner wrote -=>
>Am Friday 13 February 2009 14:01:43 schrieb Ed Kasky:
> > Over the past 2 days, my smbd processes are multiplying worse than
> > rabbits.  At least with rabbits it's easy to tell why you wind up
> > with so many...
> >
> > Here's the setup:
> > Samba version 3.2.8-0.24 installed via rpm on a FC6 box with 2 nics,
> > both on the same subnet.  The samba server acts as a PDC in a mixed
>
>Please explain your reasons for using two NICs with IPs on the same
>subnet and
>how you make sure packets sent out through one interface don't get their
>replies routed through the other.

The only reason I have is one of inexperience.

The machine I inherited had the two nics and when I installed the os
I just let it configure both.  Is it recommended to disable one so
that all traffic stays on one ip to and from the server?

I do thnk that I have narrowed the problem to one machine.  When I
take that one offline the problem seems to abate.  I also noticed
that the smbd process was a constant 25% CPU usage until I restarted it.

Ed
~~~~~~~~~
Randomly Generated Quote (765 of 1229):
Many are called, few are chosen.  Fewer still get to do the choosing.