[Samba] Over 400 smbd pid's?

Ed Kasky ed at esson.net
Fri Feb 13 21:58:02 GMT 2009

At 06:18 AM Friday, 2/13/2009, you wrote -=>
>On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 05:01:43AM -0800, Ed Kasky wrote:
> > It took two attempts to stop them all from the init script - the
> > first run seemed to only kill about 2 or 3 and the second one
> > finished the job.  So I restarted and monitored the situation and all
> > seemed okay for a few hours and then after about 3 hours they started
> > multiplying again until I restarted the daemon again.  There was just
> > normal file activity during the couple of hours that it took to go
> > from 3 to over 400 pid's.
>
>Can you try to figure out what these smbds do? You might
>want to
>
>strace -p <smbd-pid>
>
>some of the smbds and send the output. You might also want
>to see what process state according to ps the smbds are.
>
>Volker

All the old ones say the same thing:

# strace -p 22122
Process 22122 attached - interrupt to quit
write(22, "q", 1

In the last hour they have increased from 3 to over 40 that are
inactive. Smbstatus shows some locked files - an outlook.pst, a
Quickbooks timer file and a couple of folders and 2 pid's for the shares.

I set the deadtime = 10 in smb.conf but it does not appear to be working.

Ed

~~~~~~~~~
Randomly Generated Quote (1160 of 1229):
When in doubt, use brute force.
                 -- Ken Thompson