[Samba] net use /home ?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 13:10:58 GMT 2009

> Is 'net use x: /home' deprecated nowadays? I just upgraded a very old Samba 2 to 3.2.8 and suddenly no workstations at all can use that command to map to their home directories.
> Workstations are W2k, Win XP and Vista in a mix. Neither work.

It works for me (in my department) and has been working from NT4 to
windows 2003 and samba 3.0.4 to samba 3.0.34. I do not have vista
installed on my network so I can not comment on that.

> Samba use LDAP as back end, and the related posts in smb.conf are these:
>
> logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U\.msprofile
> logon script = login.bat
> logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
> logon drive = J:
>
> [homes]
>        comment = Home
>        valid users = %S, %D%w%S
>        browseable = no
>        read only = No
>        inherit acls = Yes
>        guest ok = no
>        printable = no
>
> Ideas are welcome!
> Anders.

I would start testing by commenting out valid users and making sure
that the POSIX permissions allow the users access to the folders that
you are trying to share.

John