[Samba] File locking problem involving Samba, Clearcase, and Cygwin

Tue Feb 10 22:37:00 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 02:24:10PM -0800, Kathy wrote:
> I wanted to post again with the results of using Samba 3.2.8.  Looks
> like this did not solve our "locking" problem.  We are still getting
> permission denied errors when we try to do a "mv" of a log file inside
> a Clearcase view via a Samba share to a different location.  Again,
> this is inside a Cygwin window on a WindowsXP virtual machine.  It is
> referencing a Clearcase dynamic view via Samba on
> //server/<view_name>.   It does not matter if you try to move it to
> another Clearcase view (i.e. //server/views/<ccase_view_name/<dir>) or
> if you try to move it to a Windows share or even to the local drive.
> Below is a snippet of what the Samba log shows when these two files
> can't be moved.  ProcessExplorer program on the Windows XP machine did
> not show file handle holding on to either of these files.  Smbstatus
> on the RHEL 5.2 Clearcase/Samba server reported NONE for oplocks,
> WRONLY for R/W, and DENY_NONE on DenyMode.
>
> We are now running new tests where the scripts are writing the logs to
> a Samba share, but not to a share that is also a Clearcase view.  And
> if we still have issues we are going to then have the logs write to a
> local drive, leaving Samba completely out of it for the part of
> writing logs.  (They will still be inside the CC view via Samba when
> firing off their scripts.)

The test to run is to store the data on any recent Windows,
just for a test. If that also fails, Clearcase is broken,
you will need to file a bug with the vendor of Clearcase. If
that works, we need network traces of Samba vs Windows as a
server and fix Samba.

Volker