[Samba] Winbind group mapping problem

Ben Tisdall ben at redcircleit.com
Mon Feb 9 17:38:54 GMT 2009

Hello all,

I have 2 boxes with identical smb.conf files apart from the netbios
name. The contents of the shares have been copied from one to the other
preserving the UNIX UIDs/GIDs and both boxes join to the AD domain
without problems. The domain sid is the same on both machines.

However, something isn't right with the group mapping:

Box A (shows the correct AD groups with ls -l)

//user at host//:~$ getent group 10012
OURDOMAIN\domain users:*:10012:

Box B (show mostly UIDs/GIDs with ls -l)

//user at host//:~$ getent group 10004
OURDOMAIN\domain users:*:10004:

Can anyone give me a clue as to where to start looking to debug this?

Many thanks in advance.

Ben Tisdall