[Samba] Microsoft Access MDB database on Samba share

Daniel Polak daniel at sys.nl
Fri Feb 6 19:32:05 GMT 2009

==== Original message from Volker Lendecke at 28-1-2009 16:44
>> OpenBSD's equivalent of strace is ktrace. I'm sending you the output of
>> ktrace/kdump by private e-mail.
>>

> Ok, the relevant lines of the traces are:
>
>  17457 smbd     CALL  fcntl(0xa,0x9,0xcfbe6060)
>  17457 smbd     RET   fcntl -1 errno 12 Cannot allocate memory
>
> This is very weird. fcntl shouldn't return ENOMEM, at least
> we don't expect it to do. This is definitely a kernel
> problem / limitation / whatever.
Volker,

I tested the Access database on Ubuntu 8.10 using kernel
2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Fri Oct 24 06:42:44 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux with
Samba version 2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3 and encountered no problems.
I also tested on OpenBSD current (with kernel 4.4 GENERIC#1667 i386 and
samba-3.0.33) the database still doesn't work there.

The OpenBSD package maintainer is looking into the problem and will talk
at FOSDEM to some Samba people this weekend.

Daniel