[Samba] Re: [Announce] Samba 4 alpha6 Available for Download

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Feb 5 00:17:37 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 09:28 -0500, Joel Reed wrote:
> On 01/21/2009 07:53 AM, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> > We are proud to finally announce another alpha release of Samba 4.
> >
> > What's new in Samba 4 alpha6
> >
> Does anyone know if I can stop a Samba 4 alpha5 instance, upgrade to
> alpha6 and restart samba?

No, that probably won't work.  We changed the modules a lot.

The closest to an upgrade we have in the alpha series at the moment is
to backup your databases, re-run the provision script with
--partitions-only and then restore secrets.ldb from the backup.

This changes the configuration for the modules, but leaves all the data
intact.

However, this isn't the same as a fresh provision.  I need some help to
create a good upgrade script - the problem is 'what do you want to
upgrade, what do you want to keep'.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett