[Samba] can't make 3.3.0 on Solaris 10

Brian H. Nelson bnelson at cis.ysu.edu
Wed Feb 4 21:42:38 GMT 2009

myron wrote:
> I tried all the combinations. The furthest I get is
>
> Linking bin/smbd
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [bin/smbd] Error 1

Well that's definitely a linking error. If you got the same error with
both sun ld and gnu ld then my best guess is that you have a broken
shared library somewhere that samba is trying to link in. Most likely a
package or library that you downloaded that was built on a newer OS than
you have installed (Update releases and/or patches).

You can try doing 'ldd /usr/local/lib/*' (and wherever else you have 3rd
party libs) and looking for similar-named missing dependencies.

> I can't find that library on my system. Do you have a library by that
> name?

That library is part of samba. It should exist in ./bin of the samba
source directory.

-Brian