[Samba] Map sids to Unix UID and GID

Glenn Machin gmachin at sandia.gov
Tue Feb 3 15:16:23 GMT 2009

 > Do you have idmap configured?

Thanks for getting back.   It looks like it is working now.  I had idmap
turned on and using tbd.  All local account and groups on the system are
managed via nss_ldap and a non windows directory.   I turned on winbindd
but did not configure it in nsswitch.conf for nss_ldap, so I could get
SID to name mapping, but I it did not resolve SID to uid. I also do
domain name to local name mappping using "username map script:".

I found a note talking about the "nss" backend. I used "idmap backend =
nss" in the configuration file and that seems to do the job.
I can now use any group that is listed in "getent group" and "getent
passwd" and when I do a getfacl I see the proper acls on the file.

It took me awhile to find a reference to "idmap backend = nss".   Is
this a well known backend?   Is there any information describing what it
does and how it does it?

I have included relevant smb.conf information below.

Thanks again.

Glenn

[global]
;    You can change available to no if you want to prevent access
;    without shutting down smbd
    available = yes
    server string = "netbios->" %L Samba Server Version "version->" %v,
"username->" %u, "service->" %S, "IP addr->" %I, "session username->"
%U, "primary group->" "%G, "protocol->" %R, "domain->" %D, "winbind
separator->" %w, "home dir->" %H
`
    workgroup = ADDOMAIN
    netbios name = hostname
    encrypt passwords = yes
    use kerberos keytab = yes
    username map script = /usr/local/bin/AD_to_localname.sh
    security = ADS
    realm = AD REALM
    use spnego = yes
    password server = AD domain-controllers

    ntlm auth = no
    lanman auth = no
    client ntlmv2 auth = yes
    client lanman auth = no
    client use spnego = yes
    map to guest = never
    server signing = mandatory
    domain master = no
    local master = no
    preferred master = no

    wins support = no
    wins server = server-ip
    wins proxy = no
    dns proxy = no
    nt acl support = Yes
    acl map full control = yes
    acl check permissions = true
    acl group control = no
;
;    An unknown user ACL will be mapped to the connected user
    force unknown acl user = yes

    winbind enum groups = no
    winbind enum users = no
    winbind trusted domains only = no