[Samba] How to access shares via HTTP (apache2)

Steve Rippl rippls at woodlandschools.org
Thu Dec 31 11:16:09 MST 2009

Martin Balint wrote:
> Hello,
> I configured samba fileserver as a member of samba domain. PDC and
> fileserver are different machines.
> It works great using windows sharing.
> Now, I need to set up apache to serve my shares, but I am having
> problem with permissions. Apache runs as www-user, and doesn't see
> content in shares.
> So I would like to ask, what is the proper way to use apache (or
> another http server) to serve files on file server.
> Using Ubuntu 9.10 and Samba 3.4.0-3ubuntu5.1.

See thread just a few days back...  smbwebclient is a simple PHP script
that will run under apache to give web based access to file shares (via
smbclient, permissions work flawlessly), Davenport is a Java based
WebDAV server if you want the full WebDav thing (I could never get that
to work but apparently others have)!

--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director