[Samba] windows XP cant browse network

Ralph Blach rcblach at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 08:49:43 MST 2009

I recently migrated from Fedora Core 10 to fedora core 12.

smbd -V
Version 3.4.2-47.fc12

I had this configurations file

[global]

# ----------------------- Netwrok Related Options
	workgroup = CHIPSDOMAIN
	server string = Samba Server Version %v

;	netbios name = MYSERVER

	interfaces = lo  wlan1
	hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0
	null passwords = yes
# --------------------------- Logging Options ---------------
#
# Log File let you specify where to put logs and how to split them up.
#
# Max Log Size let you specify the max size log files should reach

	# logs split per machine
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	# max 50KB per log file, then rotate
	max log size = 50
	log level = 5

# ----------------------- Standalone Server Options ------------------------
#
# Scurity can be set to user, share(deprecated) or server(deprecated)
#
# Backend to store user information in. New installations should
# use either tdbsam or ldapsam. smbpasswd is available for backwards
# compatibility. tdbsam requires no further configuration.

	security = user
	passdb backend = tdbsam

# --------------------------- Printing Options -----------------------------
#

;	load printers = yes
	cups options = raw

	printcap name = cups
#	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	#obtain list of printers automatically on SystemV
	printing = cups

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
;	browseable = yes
	writable = yes
	valid users = rcblach benb colette
	invalid users = mysql jetty root
	path = /home/%S
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    create mode = 0700

The smbusers is set to

pcguest = guest pcguest smbguest administrator
rcblach = rcblach

There is an account pcguest and the smbpasswd command has been used to
set its password to NO PASSWORD

What I have discovered is that my XP machine can no no longer browse the
Samba machine and see the printers.

The log file log.smbd continually shows this error.

[2009/12/30 17:37:41,  3] auth/token_util.c:433(create_local_nt_token)
   Failed to fetch domain sid for CHIPSDOMAIN

What I am doing wrong.  Shouldnt my xp machine be able to brows the
Samba Machine.

Thanks

Chip