[Samba] Fedora 11 can't browse local LAN for file shares

KC8LDO kc8ldo at arrl.net
Tue Dec 29 23:21:13 MST 2009

I spent some time looking through some of the recent archives and didn't
find exactly what I was looking for. There is a lot to look through so I
quit after while. My answer maybe there but I didn't see anything that
looked like it was relevant to the problem I'm having.

I have samba 3.4.2 installed on a Fedora 11 system. The problem I have is
the in ability to browse the local network for file shares. This is a very
simple network setup, a workgroup, no PDC, AD, LDAP etc. I don't want to set
one up either so I'm not open to that suggestion. All the other samba
configurations work as is so should this one.

The strange thing about the setup is I can go to the shares on the F11 box
just fine from several other computes on my local LAN at home, but I just
can't browse for local shares on other computers from just this one
computer. I have iptables, ip6tables and SELinux all disabled and turned off
with no luck. I used the same schema to setup the Fedora 11 box as on the
others noted below.

The computers on the LAN I have are one Win XP Pro SP3 laptop, Fedora 3,
Fedora 8, Fedora 12 and a Buffalo Linkstation Pro NAS box, not including the
problematic Fedora 11 box.

The Fedora 8 box is showing as the browse master. Before that I it was the
Fedora 3 box. I had problems with the Fedora 11 box not browsing the local
machine shares regardless of which machine was the browse master.

The error I see, when trying to browse the local network, using Nautilus, is
some message about being unable to retrieve the browse list from the server
if I remember right. Also not all of the machines on the LAN show up in the
network listing either like they do when using any of the other boxes the
same way.

Anybody run across this and how do I fix it?

Regards;

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO