[Samba] LDAP and samba

Carlos Santana neubyr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 14:47:37 MST 2009

Hi,

I am not sure how to configure LDAP authentication with samba. I have
a windows box, which is part of Active Directory domain and does user
authentication against it. I would like to use same user credentials
and map them to a appropriate network drive (linux home dirs). In
short, Linux user's home dir should be available on Windows box also.

I looked at the smb.conf man page, but I couldn't figure out how to
configure LDAP. I have following doubts:

1. I see passdb option in Standalone Server and Domain Member options.
Which one should be used / what is the significance of each option?

2. Some sample configurations have specified 'ldap admin dn' and
smbpasswd while configuring LDAP for samba. I am assuming it is not
required for LDAP anonymous bind. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
CS.