[Samba] Samba and Rsync

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Tue Dec 29 07:22:55 MST 2009

Hi,

are the unix and samba password data bases in sync on the two
servers? I.e. do the same users (name:uid) exist in /etc/passwd
and do the same users exist in Samba's password database
(compare output of "pdbedit -L").

If the answer is no, you might run into problems with just
syncing the data areas.

Note that rsync (unless called with "--numeric-ids") tries to
copy ownership of files by the owner's name. Read the section
on "--numeric-ids" in the rsync man page for mor information.

Cheers - Michael