[Samba] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Dominic Gamble dominic.gamble at webdynamic.com.au
Sun Dec 27 23:04:55 MST 2009

Hi,

I can't get access to any shares when running "smbclient //DUCK/test -U
Dominic". I'm getting the message:
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

I'm pretty sure it's authenticating properly as it says "session setup ok"
in the debug output. If I enter the wrong password I get:
"session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE"

I'm running CentOS 5.4 with the following samba packages

samba-common-3.0.33-3.15.el5_4.1
samba-3.0.33-3.15.el5_4.1
samba-swat-3.0.33-3.15.el5_4.1
samba-client-3.0.33-3.15.el5_4.1

My samba setup uses LDAP for authentication. All logging seems to indicate
that authentication and LDAP is working well.

My /etc/samba/smb.conf was generated with SWAT and has the following shares:

[tmp]
        comment = temporary files
        path = /tmp
        hosts allow =
        hosts deny =

[test]
        comment = test files
        path = /test
        hosts allow =
        hosts deny =

Both shares contain a file called myfile.txt.

When I connect to the "tmp" share, I don't get the "tree connect failed:
NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME", but I can't list any files:

[root at duck cache]# smbclient //DUCK/tmp -U dominic
Password:
Domain=[ORANDA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.33-3.15.el5_4.1]
smb: \> ls
  .                                   D        0  Mon Dec 28 04:02:13 2009
  ..                                  D        0  Sun Dec 27 21:16:53 2009

                36224 blocks of size 8388608. 34082 blocks available
smb: \>

When I connect to the "test" share I get the "tree connect failed:
NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME":
[root at duck cache]# smbclient //DUCK/test -U dominic
Password:
Domain=[ORANDA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.33-3.15.el5_4.1]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

The permissions on the /tmp and /test folders are the same:

drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 Dec 27 21:35 test
drwxrwxrwt 4 root root 4096 Dec 28 04:02 tmp

There are no complex acls on them either:

[root at duck /]# getfacl tmp
# file: tmp
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::rwx

[root at duck /]# getfacl test
# file: test
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::rwx

I've tried getting more debug info by setting log levels to 10 in both
smb.conf and using the -d10 parameter on the command line, but it gives me
nothing useful in the logs or in the output.

I've been through 'The Samba Checklist'
(http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/diagnosis.html)
and had no other problems.

Here is the rest of my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = ORANDA
        server string = Duck
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost/
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
*all*authentication*tokens*updated*
        unix password sync = Yes
        log level = 10
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        load printers = No
        printcap name = /dev/null
        disable spoolss = Yes
        add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel "%u"
        add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupdel "%g"
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u"
"%g"
        set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
        logon script = login.cmd
        logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
        logon drive = H:
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 127
        wins support = Yes
        ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=oranda,dc=internal
        ldap delete dn = Yes
        ldap group suffix = ou=Group
        ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap passwd sync = Yes
        ldap suffix = dc=oranda,dc=internal
        ldap user suffix = ou=People
        admin users = dominic
        hosts allow = 192.168.10., 127.
        hosts deny = ALL
        printing = bsd
        print command = lpr -r -P'%p' %s
        lpq command = lpq -P'%p'
        lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j
        use client driver = Yes

This has had me stumped for 3 days straight now and I don't know what else I
can try. Samba just isn't giving me any more clues.

I've found lots of other posts like mine through google with no replies to
them. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do next?

I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Best regards,
Dominic.