[Samba] share CUPS printer/scanner in Debian system with Windows computers in home network

Seb spluque at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 14:35:15 MST 2009

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:19:48 -0500,
Ryan Suarez <ryan.suarez at sheridanc.on.ca> wrote:

> can you 'ping kolob' from the windows client?  and 'telnet kolob 445'?

OK, I was able to connect to the Samba shares by using the IP address
rather than the computer name.  I was asked to provide my user name and
password, and then the explorer window came up showing the printers and
the file shares.  However, how could this Samba server be made visible
in the "Network" so that the printers alone can be added to those
Windows clients by any user (they don't need to be valid Unix/Samba
users in the server) by just doing "add network printer"?  Why can't the
"add network printer" not be able to detect the public printers by just
browsing?  Thanks so much for the guidance!

--
Seb