[Samba] assistance with setting up a samba share.

alex wallis alexwallis646 at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 23 06:47:02 MST 2009

Hi list.
I am very new to the world of linux and to that of samba.

For some time now I have been investigating how I should go about sharing a
windows folder between windows and my linux system.

However I have been having a few problems and I hope that someone on this
list might be kind enough to help me.

At first, I was trying to get smbfs working to share the folder, but I
understand this has now largely been replaced by cifs.

The system I am running is a virtual machine with vmware work station and it
is debian based.

I am using a command line interface with no gui.

the share I want to set up is as follows.

I want to share a folder called rockbox which is in the root of my windows
machine, I want to set it so that its files are displayed in a folder called
rockbox on my linux virtual machine, and I want linux to have read and write
access on this folder, and all sub folders and there files under rockbox.

My windows machine has no password on it, and several tutorials i have tried
to follow say I should set the user name as guest in this event.

I was wondering if someone could please tell me exactly how I should go
about setting up my share so that it mounts every time i boot the virtual
machine, and exactly what commands I need to enter.

as each time I try to set the share up i get an error about not being able
to change to the target directory.
I have smbfs installed, and I have made sure the rockbox folder is shared
under windows, the windows i am running is windows xp pro with sp3.
Any help would be very appreciated.
Alex.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4711 (20091223) __________

http://www.eset.com