[Samba] Cannot see server in win Neighborhood (again)

Matias Morawicki matiasmorawicki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 13:44:25 MST 2009

2009/12/19 Matias Morawicki <matiasmorawicki at gmail.com>

> Are you listening on port 139, or only on port 445?
>>
>> Microsoft had a great idea when they implemented SMB over TCP on port 445
>> and eliminated the ancient and inefficient NETBIOS over TCP, or NetBT (on
>> port 139). Unfortunately, they didn't think it all the way through - you
>> still need NETBIOS to populate the network neighborhood, so if your Samba
>> server only listens on port 445, you won't get happy in your network
>> neighborhood.
>>

> mmm I guess so, I´m gonna check on monday...
>
> thanks 4 the tip!!!!

this is very odd... We finally decided to move the server to debian (it was
a quite recently installed box and we weren't quite happy with centos)

but... same issue!! (sorry about that centos!!!)

We're running a ubuntu box with the same simple conf side by side and
nothing, win clients can see the ubuntu and not the debian...

hardware??? buggy ethernet card??? is that possible?? www server on the
debian is perfectly accesible...

debian is listening on 139 and 445.

this is what i get when from the debian box i issue a smbclient -L winclient
(LOLA is the win client)

    Domain=[JAGUARHOUSE] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

    Server               Comment
    ---------            -------
    LOLA                 JAGUARHOUSE
    PSYD64               psyd64 server (Samba, Ubuntu)

    Workgroup            Master
    ---------            -------
    JAGUARHOUSE          LOLA

this with smbclient -L ubuntubox
smbclient -L 192.168.1.101 -U%
Domain=[JAGUARHOUSE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.0]

    Sharename       Type      Comment
    ---------       ----      -------
    print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
    IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (psyd64 server (Samba, Ubuntu))
Domain=[JAGUARHOUSE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.0]

    Server               Comment
    ---------            -------
    LOLA                 JAGUARHOUSE
    PSYD64               psyd64 server (Samba, Ubuntu)

    Workgroup            Master
    ---------            -------
    JAGUARHOUSE          LOLA

and this when i do it to the debian itself:

linux:/etc/samba# smbclient -L linux -U%
Domain=[JAGUARHOUSE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.5]

    Sharename       Type      Comment
    ---------       ----      -------
    print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
    IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (linux server (Debian))
Domain=[JAGUARHOUSE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.5]

    Server               Comment
    ---------            -------
    LINUX                linux server (Debian)

    Workgroup            Master
    ---------            -------
    JAGUARHOUSE          LINUX

is like the debian samba is definitely not "talking" to the others!

again, i'm using the basic smb.conf that came with the ubuntu:

linux:/etc/samba# testparm
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]
    workgroup = JAGUARHOUSE
    server string = %h server (Debian)
    map to guest = Bad User
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    unix password sync = Yes
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000