[Samba] getent passwd problem

Wasim Bashir bashirwz at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 22 08:44:29 MST 2009

Hi,

I am having a weird issue with samba where once a week approximately at the
same time users will lose connectivity,

if i run

wbinfo -u  all users are displayed
wbinfo -g all groups are displayed

However running getent passwd only shows local-users, no remote users are
shown..

To fix the issue I have to change the name of my idmap config and restart
samba and winbind and everything works fine for a week...

Am I missing something obvious here ? I have attached my config below :

[global]
        security = ads
        max mux = 16384
        log file  = /home/sites/samba-log/log.%m

        ldap timeout = 45
        ldap connection timeout = 30
        max open files = 100000
        realm =  merlin.internaloffice.co.uk
        password server = 10.0.9.0
        workgroup = WEBHOSTING
        idmap backend = tdb
        idmap uid = 500-2000000
        idmap gid = 500-2000000
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        template homedir = /home/sites/%U
        template shell = /bin/bash
        client use spnego = yes
        client ntlmv2 auth = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        winbind use default domain = yes
        winbind nss info = template rfc2307
        restrict anonymous = 2
                idmap config WEBHOSTING : schema_mode = rfc2307
                idmap config WEBHOSTING : backend      = ad
                idmap config WEBHOSTING : range        = 500 - 300000000

[home]
hide dot files = no
path = /home/sites
read only = no
dos filetime resolution = yes

I am using samba 3.3.9, do we know whether this issue has been fixed in
samba 3.4.x ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wasim