[Samba] Looking for Windows port

Mon Dec 21 14:24:04 MST 2009

There isn't a Windows "port" but a Samba-clone. It was made by a company called Microsoft. You should check them out someday, some of their software actually doesn't suck.

Seriously, a Windows port of Samba wouldn't make much sense since the whole point of Samba is to do what Windows already does natively. It also likely wouldn't be possible to run Samba because Windows listens on the same ports that Samba would be using.

Also, if licensing was your reason for wanting Samba: Samba wouldn't allow you to sidestep any of the Windows license limitations in the first place. The license limitations apply regardless of which software you use to share files.