[Samba] Issue logging in to Samba Domain (was: Issue Joining Win7 to Samba Domain (tried wiki instructions))

Moray Henderson Moray.Henderson at ict-software.org
Mon Dec 21 03:54:51 MST 2009

Maciej Czub wrote:
>I have similar problem. I can join to domain but can't log in to user
>account.

Different problem - the others were having trouble joining the domain; you have joined but can't log in.

>Samba 3.4.3
>Windows 7 Professional x64
>
>>From WinXP workstation everything works great.
>
>> Last time I saw something like this, it was because the client (Win XP)
>> did not have a WINS server set, and couldn’t find the domain.  Can you
>> ping the server from the problem client - by IP address and by name?  Is
>> its firewall blocking any SMB ports?
>
>ping [serwerip] - works OK.
>ping [serverhostname] - works OK.
>
>"ipconfig /all" on workstation displays [domainname] on DNS suffix search
>list.
>I've modified local DNS server configuration (new zone, new A record) to
>handle "[serverhostname].[domainname]" requests.
>
>ping [serverhostname].[domainname] - works OK.
>
>Still - I can't log in to user account.

Have you set:
HKLM\System\CCS\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
            DWORD  DomainCompatibilityMode = 1
            DWORD  DNSNameResolutionRequired = 0
HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Netlogon\Parameters
           DWORD  RequireSignOrSeal = 1
           DWORD  RequireStrongKey = 1

Do you see anything useful in either Windows' Event Viewer or Samba's /var/log/log.smbd?

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"