[Samba] Samba + Cups 2200 Laserjet printer

Jack Downes jax at nwmt.us
Sun Dec 20 00:42:17 MST 2009

First off, please reply to the list.

Okay, so you'll need to make sure that your cups.conf is setup to not
listen only to localhost.  you'll several sections on making cups listen
to what port and which IP... you'll see "Listen localhost:631" near the
top of your cups.conf file which is in /etc/cups (on several distros
anyway), edit that to match your IP.  Cups.org has tons of info how to
do this.

As to the groups and such that I'm talking about...
Here's what i have setup for our outfit:
[printers]
        comment = Cupsys based printer
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /var/lib/samba/KRH_drivers
        valid users = @wheel, jax, admincis
        force user = nobody
        force group = nogroup
        read only = No

So, as you can see, I've got it set so that anyone can print, but that
only admins and myself can update/change drivers.  Makes it easy and
keeps the general users away from the drivers.

I'd suggest you put a valid users = scott in your [printers] section and
make sure that your windows username/password matches the
username/password in your linux setup.  Make sure that you create the
same user with smbpasswd as well. you can sync those together pretty
easily.  I'm pretty sure you can also limit by IP if you like:
hosts deny = 10.17.1.0/24, 10.6.27.5

or whatever ...  Hopefully this helps.

Jack