[Samba] Cannot see server in win Neighborhood (again)

Fri Dec 18 19:59:19 MST 2009

Are you listening on port 139, or only on port 445?

Microsoft had a great idea when they implemented SMB over TCP on port 445 and eliminated the ancient and inefficient NETBIOS over TCP, or NetBT (on port 139). Unfortunately, they didn't think it all the way through - you still need NETBIOS to populate the network neighborhood, so if your Samba server only listens on port 445, you won't get happy in your network neighborhood.

In Vista and Windows 7, this problem is fixed: they now use UPnP (renamed to Network Discovery) to populate the network neighborhood (and do a lot of other neat stuff). Samba does not yet support UPnP, though.

Bottom line: even though Samba supports turning off NetBT, DON'T.

This problem is exacerbated if you are using an IPv6 network, because Microsoft no longer even supports NETBIOS at all.