[Samba] srvtools -- are these really useful?

Raymond Lillard rlillard at sonic.net
Fri Dec 18 16:46:43 MST 2009

I have installed 3.4.3 on a CentOS 5.4 box as a PDC with tdbsam
for a backend.  All seems to be working as expected in the
Samba world.

With the intention of getting ordinary maintenance off of
my back, I downloaded and installed usrmgr and srvmgr in
/root/bin.

When I launch either of them from a WinXP workstation member
while logged into the domain as root, the domain is not found.
I can find the domain from the menu and look at various settings,
but cannot do much of anything that can be made permanent.

Question:  Have I omitted some critical setting to make these
           tools useful?  Should I not be able to add users to
           groups, for example?

What follows is some output that shows thing to be configured
correctly.  I think.

root at foobar {~} net rpc group MEMBERS "Domain Admins"
Enter root's password:
PS2\root
PS2\b0fh

root at foobar {~} net groupmap list
... cut several local groups from this list ...
Domain Users (S-1-5-21-2487701501-27877076-1099799052-513) -> staff
Domain Guests (S-1-5-21-2487701501-27877076-1099799052-514) -> nobody
Domain Admins (S-1-5-21-2487701501-27877076-1099799052-512) -> wheel
Administrators (S-1-5-32-544) -> 10000
Users (S-1-5-32-545) -> 10001

Note: I'm not sure what the groups Administrators and Users are about.

root at foobar {~} net rpc rights list
Enter root's password:
     SeMachineAccountPrivilege  Add machines to domain
      SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege  Take ownership of files or other objects
             SeBackupPrivilege  Back up files and directories
            SeRestorePrivilege  Restore files and directories
     SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege  Force shutdown from a remote system
      SePrintOperatorPrivilege  Manage printers
           SeAddUsersPrivilege  Add users and groups to the domain
       SeDiskOperatorPrivilege  Manage disk shares

Note: I see no priv to add users to an existing group?

Thank you for your time,
Ray