[Samba] Cannot see server in win Neighborhood (again)

Matias Morawicki matiasmorawicki at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 08:15:54 MST 2009

Hello u all, sorry to bring this issue back again, but I´ve been
searching and trying all the advices suggested in previous posts and I
still can´t see the samba server in the win network neighborhood.

I can see the samba shares from win via net view \\servername

but if I issue a plain "net view" samba won´t show up. only the win
machines, the same i can see on the Neighborhood...

I´ve tried stopping iptables, different smb.conf from the simple
examples of t first chapters of samba by example,  to plenty of
options... that´s why I´m not including my smb.conf, because I´ve
tried many variations, always with the same results. I even tried a
working smb.conf from another linux box which was showing in win
Neighborhood...

and when I select local master = no  Samba would stay without master!
I issue smbclient -L servername -U% and the master section remains empty.

It´s like samba is not being able to "talk" to the rest of the
workgroup. (of course they are all in the same workgroup)

Btw, the server is a Centos 5.3, with samba 3.2.15 (it also happened
with the default samba, so I´ve upgraded just in case...)

I hope someone can point me some directions...

thanks in advance!!

Matias