[Samba] Windows 7 won't authenticate

Linda Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Thu Dec 17 16:30:53 MST 2009

mickey harvey wrote:
> I am trying to access a samba share from windows 7. The samba version is
> 3.3.3 on FreeBSD 7.2, The samba daemons are running and I can see the server
> in my Network Places on the Windows client. When I try to login using the
> username "spacebizall" and password (the same as the account on the server)
> I receive an "unknown username or password" error. I installed the registry
> patch here http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7. Attached are the samba
> log file and config. Test is the share I am trying to connect to.
>
> Also one of the packets caught my attention, it appears as if my username
> being sent is including my hostname for some reason:
>  Code:
>
> 28	0.491330	192.168.137.1	192.168.137.2	SMB	Session Setup AndX
> Request, NTLMSSP_AUTH, User: MICKEY-PC\spacebizall
----
	I have Win7 and samba problems as well, in your case it almost looks like your win7 box is acting like a Domain controller = to itself.  I wonder if this is what the 'home network' feature is supposed to look like.  I'm not familiar with it.  But it has the idea of home network servers and clients -- I wonder if it uses it's hostname as a domain name?  Do you have the home networking feature turned on? (It's on be default).  Don't know if that's anything to do with your problem.  Just a thought.

-linda