[Samba] Problem Joining Win7 to Samba Domain (tried wiki instructions)

Linda Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Wed Dec 16 23:18:28 MST 2009

Ryan Casey wrote:
> I'm trying to join a Windows 7 client to a samba domain.  We're
> running samba 3.3.9 from SerNet.  I've changed the registry settings
> on the Win7 client per the wiki page
> (http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7).
>
> Unfortunately, I'm still getting:
> The following error occurred attempting to join the domain because the
> following error has occurred: The specified domain either does not
> exist or could not be contacted.
----
	Ditto.  While the wiki *did* work a few weeks ago, I had to
reinstall Win7 after a 'System-Restore' deleted most files on the disk.
(There wasn't much on it except for program installations).  I am able
to join with a XP client -- unjoined, rejoined, rejoiced.  But the Win7
is giving nothing in the log (level 4) concerning the problem and in
Wireshk, I'm seeing attempts at Net LOGON both with blank names and
with the machine name (machine$), and the Samba (3.4.3) DC says name
doesn't exist.    I do have the dword entries as mentioned in the wiki --
and that did work last time, but this time, nada.

	Not sure what debugging step to try next.  Ideas?

*sigh*...one step forward, two steps back...
-l