[Samba] Problem with Snow Leopard and Samba

Mike Eggleston mikeegg1 at mac.com
Wed Dec 16 13:06:39 MST 2009

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Clark Johnston might have said:

> We have a user who purchased a Mac Book Pro with OSX 10.6.2.
> Everyday he has a problem with one or another Samba Server.  One day it's
> FileShare1 , the next day it's ProductionData Server.
> I use Windows and Linux and neither has  a problem connecting to these
> servers.  He has XP in VMWare Fusion and that works fine.  But about every
> other day he comes and says some server won't allow him to connect.
> Sometimes a reboot will fix the problem.
> We are using Samba PDC with LDAP backend and these are member servers he is
> logging into.
> Today he is getting an error that the login is incorrect on one Member
> Server, yesterday he would log into a server and it would hang about 3 deep
> into a directory tree and require reboot of the system.
> Eventually that error just seemed to go away.
> Anyone know of some glitch or issue with software on OSX 10.6.2?
> I am not familiar with MACs  and didn't think that there would be an issue,
> but thought someone out here may know of a quirk or something that would
> cause this type of problem and how to resolve it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> P.S.  Are Snow Leopards an endangered species?  Do I need a license to shoot
> a Mac Book  Pro? :)
> --

I have seen issues with Microsoft Office for the Mac trying to connect to
shares of the same name on multiple servers. The Microsoft applications
gets confused.

- $server1
  - ProductionData
- $server2
  - ProductionData

My user could not open for writing, and other permission errors, an
Excel file on one of the shares because the shares have the same name.

Mike