[Samba] Problem with Snow Leopard and Samba

Clark Johnston clarkhorse6 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 13:19:18 MST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Mike Eggleston <mikeegg1 at mac.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Clark Johnston might have said:
>
> > We have a user who purchased a Mac Book Pro with OSX 10.6.2.
> > Everyday he has a problem with one or another Samba Server.  One day it's
> > FileShare1 , the next day it's ProductionData Server.
> > I use Windows and Linux and neither has  a problem connecting to these
> > servers.  He has XP in VMWare Fusion and that works fine.  But about
> every
> > other day he comes and says some server won't allow him to connect.
> > Sometimes a reboot will fix the problem.
> > We are using Samba PDC with LDAP backend and these are member servers he
> is
> > logging into.
> > Today he is getting an error that the login is incorrect on one Member
> > Server, yesterday he would log into a server and it would hang about 3
> deep
> > into a directory tree and require reboot of the system.
> > Eventually that error just seemed to go away.
> > Anyone know of some glitch or issue with software on OSX 10.6.2?
> > I am not familiar with MACs  and didn't think that there would be an
> issue,
> > but thought someone out here may know of a quirk or something that would
> > cause this type of problem and how to resolve it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > P.S.  Are Snow Leopards an endangered species?  Do I need a license to
> shoot
> > a Mac Book  Pro? :)
> > --
>
> I have seen issues with Microsoft Office for the Mac trying to connect to
> shares of the same name on multiple servers. The Microsoft applications
> gets confused.
>
> - $server1
>  - ProductionData
> - $server2
>  - ProductionData
>
> My user could not open for writing, and other permission errors, an
> Excel file on one of the shares because the shares have the same name.
>
> Mike

 Thanks for the info

 But I haven't even gotten to that problem yet. :) Oh joy the day.

This is just simply connecting to different named shares on differently
named servers.

Maybe I need some tutoring on a Mac also, anyone have any book
recommendations.  This one computer seems to be taking up about 10% of my
time in the last 2 weeks.
I'd be looking for information on log files and other such troubleshooting
help.