[Samba] how to join to AD ? -Annoyed

mistofeles ptmusta at utu.fi
Wed Dec 16 04:34:18 MST 2009

mistofeles wrote:

>> I'm installing another Ubuntu 9.10 server from scratch with the advice
>> above.
>> It seems that you got to instal krb5-users and krb5-client to make it
>> work.
>>
> I spent hours with this. In the end I installed this samba4-bla-bla and
> managed to make 'net' run,

Okay, this Samba4 seemed to be a dead end. I re-installed some parts of
Samba and 'net' command started to work again.

Some questions:
- Must I log in and 'kinit' with my username, which has rights to join this
device to AD every time I reboot the PC. It seems so.

- Is there some way to make the user permissions work in Samba ?
Now I have to set 707 permissions to user home directory so that he can read
and modify his data. If I make it like this, everyone in the AD can go and
read his files.
Linux has its own system of permissions. Is there any way to make Samba
understand that they should be used and not some system, which is built in
Samba ?

Somebody said that I should keep the system 'KISS'. How is this made ?