[Samba] UNIX accounts needed for machine accounts?

Lukas Haase lukashaase at gmx.at
Wed Dec 16 03:45:00 MST 2009

Hi,

I have the following problem: My structure is stored in LDAP that way:

dc=example,dc=com
  + ou=groups
  |  + cn=Account Operators
  |  + ...
  + ou=machines
  |  + uid=workstation1$
  |  + uid=workstation2$
  |  + ...
  + ou=users
     + ou=int
     |  + uid=user1
     |  + uid=user2
     |  + ...
     + ou=ext
        + uid=user3
        + uid=user4
        + ...

Only internal users (in ou=int) branch have the samba object classes and
should be available on internal servers.

Therefore I set the in the libnss-ldap the search scope for the users to
ou=int,ou=users,dc=example,dc=com.

But this also means that the machine accounts are not available on the
UNIX server.

Is this necessary? Does it cause any problems?

If yes, is there a solution for that (except putting the machine
accounts into the ou=int branch)?

Regards,
Luke