[Samba] Samba write permissions being set incorrectly on FreeBSD 7.2

Mark Lokowich mlokowich at compellent.com
Fri Dec 11 07:48:02 MST 2009

I've found that write permissions get set after updating (copy over)
read-only files from Windows XP to my Samba 3.3.3 mount on FreeBSD 7.2.
  I have the "map archive = no" option.  If I change this option to
"yes" then the write bits are cleared, as expected for either setting in
this scenario.  Why are the write bits getting mapped per this setting?
fwiw: I've never seen this on Linux version of Samba.  Could it be ext3
vs. ufs?

Thanks,
Mark Lokowich
Compellent Technologies