[Samba] Network problem (?)

Janos Dohanics web at 3dresearch.com
Sun Dec 13 14:05:25 MST 2009

I have a Win XP client which is connecting to a samba-3.3.7 server running on
FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE through openvpn-2.0.6_9.

The client can connect, browse folders, and transfer files. However, random
error messages keep popping up, such as "The network name is no longer
available", or "File is used by another application". Sometimes, after a long
wait, the folder opened on the Samba drive closes unexpectedly.

Can't find anything obviously wrong in Samba logs.

I tried to replicate these problems by using a different Win XP computer which
connects to the same server through OpenVPN using the same user account. None
of the problems described occurred. There are also no such problems with Win
XP clients connecting on the LAN.

I have done packet capture; I noticed that there are many Retransmissions
around the time when the error occurs. I have also noticed that the Win XP
computer in question initiates transmissions on ports that are not obvious to
me (e.g. tns-adv, dyna-access, mcns-tel-ret, and many others, which vary by
session).

Searched the web about possible causes and solutions to the problem, I found
the advice to change the NIC settings from Auto to 100/10 duplex/half
duplex - I changed settings, no effect.

Could someone help me with this? I can provide configuration files and packet
capture files.

--
Janos Dohanics