[Samba] Starting from scratch... and Active Directory

Joel Therrien Joel_Therrien at uml.edu
Fri Dec 11 12:57:35 MST 2009

Hello,

    Due to a couple of circumstances, I am rebuilding my file server. In
the process
I want to see if I can iron out the last few issues I have had with
getting active directory
authentication to work. Ideally I would appreciate it if anyone can
provide a link to a
website that gives decently detailed instructions for setting up samba
with user authentication
via Active Directory running on a windows server 2008 box. If it
matters, I will be installing
Debian squeeze, since I believe that version has a version of samba that
is able to work with
2008 (our IT department upgraded over the weekend and thus broke my
authentication).

    On top of that, one other question: Is it absolutely necessary to
enable enum users and groups?
I ask because with a student population of more that 13,000 I do not
want to choke either my
server or the university's server by making a request for that large a
number of people. And if one
can get away without, what are the side effects? For example, the
university's server has faculty
and staff in a separate group from the students, such that an
authentication call via wbinfo
requires specifying for example FACULTY+John_Doe and STUDENT+Dave_Smith to
work correctly. This was the one remaining hitch I did have, I used an
account in the FACULTY
group to bind my server to the AD server and thereafter had no issues
with authenticating myself
with samba, but I could not get it to work for any students.

Thanks in advance!

Joel

--
Asst. Prof. Joel M. Therrien
Ph: 978-934-3324
Joel_Therrien at uml.edu
Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering
U. Massachusetts-Lowell
1 University Ave
Lowell, MA 01854