[Samba] wbinfo / Could not convert sid to gid / uid

Robert LeBlanc robert at leblancnet.us
Thu Dec 10 11:21:55 MST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 6:21 AM, Georg Roelli <roellig at hotmail.com> wrote

> Hello
>
> I have something very interesting, which would confirm the statement from
> Robert.
> Until now I have made all the tests on a virtual clone. Now I have
> reproduced the installation on the productive system.
> Here I get a GID for the group nobadurl. Possibly I run out of gids
> allocated to groups.
>
> How do I find out, how great my range for GID must be and how can I change
> this value. I now there exist to values in the smb.conf.
> Idmap uid and Idmap gid are now 10000-20000. I have changed these values
> one time but without success. I got no GID for the group nobadurl.
>
> Who can help me?
>
> Kind regards, G.

The logs didn't seem to give any additional info. Do you have less than
10,000 groups in your AD? You can set that as high as you want. You will
need to restart the winbind service. You probably do NOT want to clear the
id cache, this will mess up your old rids. We use idmap_hash which has 10
digits in the id and gid, so you can go very high, you just have to be
careful that some apps don't have problems. We only found a problem with a
database that stored the uid and it wasn't wide enough.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University