[Samba] Windows Server 2008 R2 backup with windows server backup

Thu Dec 10 01:17:14 MST 2009

Backup to a network drive is tricky at best with Windows 2008.

It is supposed to work if you use a UNC path instead of a drive letter.

Be aware that R2 is actually a quite different animal (Windows 2008 = Vista Server, Windows 2008 R2 = Windows 7 Server) so I am not sure if even that is still supported.

Generally, Windows 2008+ backups are best done to a local drive (or with a third-party tool. I am using a combination of a local backup and bacula).