[Samba] Mangled Names, Directory Listing and Access Failure, Unix-to-Unix

John Anthony Kazos Jr. jakj at j-a-k-j.com
Wed Dec 9 08:01:54 MST 2009

I am using a recent version of Samba mounted through GVFS. If I
configure with the option "mangled names" unspecified, I am able to
access everything fine, but files with ':' or '?' get mangled to the
point of unusability. If I specify "mangled names = no", I see
everything fine with the reserved characters displayed properly, but I
am unable to list or access the contents of directories with such names,
and even most top-level files with such names resist most kinds of
manipulation.

I am not interested in making my file names usable on Windows. NFS is
too clunky and difficult to secure. FTP-based solutions do not allow the
quick random-access I require. Samba seems to be the only networking
system available that does what I need.

How do I alter Samba's configuration to allow it to manipulate files
with the normal Unix naming rules?