[Samba] pam_winbind adding "BUILTIN+users" secondary group to non-AD account?

Mike Coleman tutufan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 13:40:46 MST 2009

I'm working on a PAM setup that will ignore winbind/AD completely for
users listed in /etc/passwd, and do the samba thing for all other
users.

Mostly it seems to work, but there's one weird side-effect.  For
non-AD users (only), an AD group "BUILTIN+users" is being added as a
secondary group.  If I kill winbind, it still gets added, although
only the gid is available (no name).

I've googled around a while and get the impression that this behavior
somehow supports 'winbind nested groups'.  I don't see how or why this
is happening given that I am (I believe) short-circuiting the pam
config so that no pam_winbind nor pam_krb5 modules get stepped through
for these local users.

I can't understand how pam_winbind is (apparently) managing to mess
with secondary groups in this case.

My best theory at the moment, not knowing any of this very well, is
that maybe pam_winbind is "cheating" on the PAM api, and somehow
adding this secondary group in some init or close function (where it
should not be).

Any ideas?
Mike

account	[default=2 success=ignore]	pam_localuser.so
account	sufficient	pam_unix2.so
account	requisite	pam_deny.so
account	sufficient	pam_krb5.so
account	requisite	pam_deny.so
auth	required	pam_env.so
auth	[default=2 success=ignore]	pam_localuser.so
auth	sufficient	pam_unix2.so
auth	requisite	pam_deny.so
auth	sufficient	pam_krb5.so
auth	required	pam_winbind.so	use_first_pass
password	[default=2 success=ignore]	pam_localuser.so
password	sufficient	pam_unix2.so    nullok
password	requisite	pam_deny.so
password	sufficient	pam_winbind.so
password	sufficient	pam_krb5.so
password	requisite	pam_deny.so
session  optional	pam_mkhomedir.so
session	required	pam_limits.so
session	[default=2 success=ignore]	pam_localuser.so
session	sufficient	pam_unix2.so
session	requisite	pam_deny.so
session	optional	pam_krb5.so
session	required	pam_winbind.so