[Samba] License agreement

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Dec 7 09:17:13 MST 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 11:28:39AM +0000, Vincent Maury wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I plan to create a commercial software that would automate the running of a few IT security tools and build a nice report, in order to help security auditors in their work.
> I saw your smbclient tool that could be really appropriate. As this tool is GPL'd, I would like to make sure you agree with the usage (running and parsing) I plan. Of course, should you have any requirement (e.g. quoting the tool or adding some mention), please let me know.
>
> I'm looking forward to your answer,

The only thing you need to do is to give your customers an
offer to receive the source code for the smbclient binary
you are using in your product, as required in the GPLv3
licence that smbclient is released under.

You don't need to quote your use of Samba (although
that is always appreciated :-).

If you have any follow up questions Simo is our license
compliance expert, so I suggest you follow up with him
(idra at samba.org).

Cheers,

	Jeremy.